The Kalamazoo Wings (K-Wings) is a professional hockey organization with longstanding ties to the Kalamazoo community. Affiliated with the NHL’s Vancouver Canucks, the K-Wings feature the NHL players of tomorrow and deliver an exciting professional sports experience in Kalamazoo. While the K-Wings organization has been known for its passionate fan base, ticket sales and brand perceptions were in need of a boost.
To that end, the K-Wings have substantially improved upon the fan experience in and around the stadium over the last several years, and they continue to deliver a high-quality, winning team on the ice. NK was tasked with making sure people knew about all that the K-Wings organization has to offer today.
Develop creative assets for the 2017-18 season marketing communications campaign to help the K-Wings:
- Positively influence the community’s perception of the team by representing them as a professional, thrilling sports experience
- Build excitement around the upcoming season
- Encourage trial amongst the target audience – get new people into the stadium for the first time
- Increase ticket sales compared to prior season
“It Starts Here” Campaign (Messaging and Visuals)
Each hockey game has its own story. The fan experience is fueled by moments of breathtaking excitement, unbridled joy, devastating disappointment, unlikely comebacks and otherworldly feats of athleticism. This campaign tells the story within the game.
- Gritty, explosive visuals place the audience in the middle of the action
- “Fan-favorite” features encourage the audience to follow players throughout the season
- Messaging prompts the audience to imagine the possibilities of what they might experience at a game: Fun starts here, excitement starts here, the road to the NHL starts here, and other extensions.
CommercialsOur “Rewind” concept tells the story of the game, but in reverse. We see quick cuts of exciting action on the ice – passionate fans cheering on the home team, two couples having a fun night out, and Slappy pumping up the crowd – resolving on the “It Starts Here” campaign message at the beginning of the game. The flexible end cards allow for individualized home game promotions.
- :60, :30, and :15 versions
- Supported by extensive broadcast ad placements in local markets
Photography and Graphics for Home Game Promotions
- Printed Pocket Schedule
- Digital billboards
- Website and social media
- Stadium Digital Graphics (Concourse Monitors, Arena Video Board)
- Arena stair prints
Supportive Campaign Graphics
The K-Wings marketing team used the graphics toolkit we provided to apply the established campaign style to a variety of additional marketing and promotional items:
- E-mail Campaigns
- Digital Ads
- In-Stadium Graphics
- Season Ticket Graphics
17% increase in YoY attendance at K-Wings games (2nd highest increase in the league) compared to the 2016-17 season (per attendance stats on echl.com, 4/18/18), which is an average of 392 additional fans at each home game.
“Our home opener was the most highly attended since the Reagan Administration!”
Toni Daniels, Business Operations Director, Kalamazoo Wings